Little Bird founder Megan May shares a recipe for a scrumptious seasonal dessert you'll want to make and take to every backyard picnic and festive dinner you attend this summer.
This cacao and raspberry summer torte is not only beautiful to look at but manages to be insanely delicious and good for you at the same time. It’s a great dessert to take to a dinner party and the perfect finish to any Christmas feast!
It’s a little less rich than your typical raw dessert as it uses avocado instead of nuts for the filling – but don’t let that fool you into thinking it will taste ‘healthy’! This torte tastes every bit as decadent as a chocolatey dessert should, you and your guests will savour every mouthful of this raw cacao and raspberry magic.
Little Bird cacao and raspberry summer torte
1 cup dried activated almonds
½ cup brazil nuts
1 ¼ cup pitted dates
¼ tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp melted cacao butter
Chocolate avocado mousse filling
2 cups avocado flesh
¾ cup nut milk (almond, hazelnut or coconut)
¾ cup + 1 tbsp cacao powder
½ cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 pinches sea salt
5 tbsp melted coconut oil
2 tbsp melted cacao butter
1-2 cups fresh raspberries
1. In food processor, blend nuts until a couscous-like texture. Add the dates and blend until well combined - until the mixture is slightly sticky. Then add the remaining ingredients and pulse a few times until combined. The mixture should hold together well.
2. Line a 22 cm fluted tart tin with plastic wrap. Press mixture firmly into the tart tin, about 5 mm thick, onto bottom and then sides of tin. Set aside.
3. To make the chocolate mousse filling, place all ingredients in a high-speed blender. With the help of the tamper, blend all ingredients together until obtaining a creamy, silky mousse consistency.
4. Pour over your base then cover with wrap and cool in the fridge for at least 5 hours.
5. Garnish with fresh raspberries. You could also use any other fresh berry of your choice, such as cherries, strawberries or blueberries. Enjoy!